- 3 cups half-and-half or light cream*
- 3/4 cup vanilla-flavor baking pieces or vanilla-flavor candy coating, chopped
- 3 inches stick cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Slivers of vanilla-flavor candy coating (optional)
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
1. Combine 1/4 cup of the half-and-half or light cream, vanilla baking pieces or chopped candy coating, stick cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan; whisk over low heat until vanilla baking pieces or candy is melted. Remove stick cinnamon.
2. Add remaining half-and-half or light cream. Whisk until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Serve warm in cups or mugs; top with slivers of vanilla-flavor candy coating and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired. Makes 5 (6-ounce) servings.
*Note: To reduce fat, you may substitute low-fat milk or evaporated fat-free milk for the half-and-half.
Tip: To create the foamy layer on top, blend some of the hot chocolate mixture in a blender container until frothy, and add to each serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 5 (6-ounce) servings
- Calories 335,
- Total Fat (g) 25,
- Saturated Fat (g) 16,
- Cholesterol (mg) 62,
- Sodium (mg) 86,
- Carbohydrate (g) 21,
- Fiber (g) 0,
- Protein (g) 6,
- Vitamin A (DV%) 15,
- Vitamin C (DV%) 2,
- Calcium (DV%) 18,
- Iron (DV%) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet